H-1B Visa Petition Required Documentation for New Hires

If required documents are not in English, they must be translated and certified by a person competent in both the source language and English. Translations must be notarized.

Other documentation may be required on a case-by-case basis.

If you currently hold H-1B status with another institution (portability provision), you will also need to provide:

For physician positions you will also need to provide:

Documentation for H-1B Dependent(s) if Currently in the U.S:

WVU does not prepare the H-4 application packet for the H-1B worker's dependents, but will include it with the H-1B petition packet as a courtesy. Please note: An H-4 application (form I-539) is not required with an H-1B petition requesting consular processing as the dependent applies directly for an H-4 visa at the US embassy or consulate.

H-1B Petition Process

Once ISSS has received all the required documentation (from the hiring department, the H-1B beneficiary, and the Export Control Office) the following steps take place: