New residents are required to apply for a West Virginia driver’s license. Foreign driver’s licenses are only valid for 30 days after you take up residence, and international licenses are valid for 90 days. To get a license you must:

NOTE: If you do not have a social security card and do not plan to work, you may get a letter from the Social Security Administration that says you are denied a SS number. You may use that instead of a SS card to apply for a driver’s license. You will need to take your WVU student ID and your passport to the SS office to receive this letter. You may be required to present additional documentation when applying for a driver’s license at the WV Department of Motor Vehicles. More information is available at the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles.