The new rules call for applicants in F-1 visa status to present a letter from ISSS verifying the nature of the applicant’s employment and the name of the employer that they will be working for.

Applicants are also required to submit a letter from their employers verifying that they have been offered employment. If you obtain a part-time employment opportunity on campus and do not have a Social Security card, or if you need a replacement card for any reason, please have the hiring unit

  1. Download the Employment Letter, a fillable form we have created in order to make reporting easier for hiring departments;
  2. Have it completed and printed on the office letterhead of the unit where you are being hired.
  3. Have it signed by the Manager of the unit where you begin your employment.
  4. If it is more convenient for you, you may pick up the form at the ISSS.

You will need to submit the completed form to our office. The ISSS will certify the letter which you then take to the Social Security Administration Office at 3596 Collins Ferry Road to apply for your Social Security card. The Social Security Office will process your application and provide you with a receipt. You will then need to contact the Tax Services unit at 304-293-3379, ext. 3 or at located at One Waterfront Place to set up an appointment to be processed for payroll.

You will need to do this not only for your initial Social Security card, but also for a duplicate or replacement card.

Graduate Assistants: With effect from August 1, 2009 the Social Security office will no longer accept spring dated assistantship letters for Fall term international graduate assistants applying for a Social Security card. Departments must download the Employment Letter and print it on their own letterhead. The student must also pick up another letter from ISSS and be ACTIVE in the Homeland Security SEVIS system before applying for a social security number. For questions call 304-293-3519.